Date:      Mon, 8 Sep 1997 09:35:25 -0700
From:      Ken McGlothlen <mcglk@yang.cpac.washington.edu>
To:        "Bryan K. Ogawa" <bkogawa@primenet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tcsh, stty, and other oddities.

bkogawa@primenet.com (Bryan K. Ogawa) writes:

| OK... round two.  I diffed your stty and my stty, and here's what I got:

Ah, thank you.  :)

| (His stty:) -extproc

Which indicates (in this case) that I'm going through a terminal server.  I
don't know that it has much effect on key translation.  According to the ISP,
no keys are actually translated.

| (His stty:) ignpar

Ignore parity errors.  I'm not sure this has much relevance.

| (Here on out:) -oxtabs

The output format of tabs---and again, I don't see why this has an effect.

| parodd
| cstopb

You use 7-odd-2, I use 8-even-1.  Not sure if this would matter.

| -hupcl

You don't stop asserting modem control on last close.  Okay. . . .

| erase = ^H

Whereas I use Emacs a lot, which uses <DEL> instead of <BACKSPACE>.

| Another thing I'm wondering about is what setty returns.  Apparently this can
| influence things, although I'm not entirely sure how.  Here's my setty:
|
| {foo} ~ 1:44 ttyp4 > setty
| iflag:-inlcr -igncr +icrnl
| oflag:+opost +onlcr
| cflag:
| lflag:+isig +icanon +echo +echoe -echonl -noflsh +echoctl -flusho +iexten
|       -extproc
| chars:

And mine returns

	mcglk@ralf:~(1035)% setty
	iflag:-inlcr -igncr +icrnl
	oflag:+opost +onlcr
	cflag:
	lflag:+isig +icanon +echo +echoe -echonl -noflsh +echoctl -flusho
	      +iexten -extproc
	chars:

No difference at all.

| Another useful and interesting command may be echotc, settc, and telltc.

I'm not sure that would tell me anything different than what the termcap would.

Nobody else has had these problems anywhere else?

							---Ken