Date:      Mon, 13 Aug 2007 16:34:42 +0200
From:      Jon Otterholm <jon.otterholm@ide.resurscentrum.se>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   proxy-arp

Hi.

I have a problem with proxy-arp entries.

If I add an arp-entry:

arp -s $hostip $routermac permanent pub only

the router sends an arp and replies to it's own arp like:

15:40:02.074419 arp who-has $hostip tell $hostip
15:40:02.074663 arp reply $hostip is-at $routermac (oui Unknown)

This is a problem because some clients interpret this as an ip-address
conflict.

In my case the router answers for arp on a bridge where all clients have
their own member-interface and clients are prohibited to talk directly
to each other.

Have I completely misunderstood the proxy-arp function? IMHO the router
should only answer to arp for $hostip to other clients than the one that
actually have the ip-address.

//Jon