Date:      Wed, 15 Jan 2014 13:58:12 +0800
From:      Erich Dollansky <erichsfreebsdlist@alogt.com>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Combining pkg and "traditional ports"

Hi,

On Wed, 15 Jan 2014 06:36:34 +0100
Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de> wrote:

> With the upcoming OS standardization on pkg (pkgng) following
> the abolishment of the pkg_* toolset I'd like to ask questions

did I get something wrong or does this only affects the binary
'distribution'?

As long as the ports are in place, png should have no impact on them.

But if you upgrade your system using packages, you will overwrite
whatever is on the system and might destroy parts of it as the binary
installed uses the wrong options.

Erich