Date:      Sun, 04 Jun 2000 02:01:46 -0400
From:      Jim Conner <jconner@enterit.com>
To:        Gabriel Ambuehl <gabriel_ambuehl@buz.ch>, "f.johan.beisser" <jan@caustic.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re[2]: IP vs CNAME

At 09:40 PM 6/2/00 +0200, Gabriel Ambuehl wrote:
> > generally, i think it's better to do IP based virtualhosting.
> > it's not so much of a performance issue, it just makes it cleaner with
> > older browsers, and makes it easier to track problems with servers.
>
>Considering the fact that IPs are getting rare (US people don't notice
>this as likely as we in Europe. RIPE would kill small ISPs doing IP
>based virtualhosting) I would suggest to do standard non-IP (AKA HTTP
>1.1) virtualhosting. If you think you'll have enough IPs until you get
>new ones (and that could be delayed until IPv6 is widely available)
>you should do IP based virtualhosting. In any other cases, I'd suggest
>to use simple namebased virtualhosts. Things change if you want to
>offer SSL or anonymous FTP, of course.
>
>BTW: Why is my BIND complaining about zonefiles
>without any A records but just CNAMES? If I add ONE single A record,
>it stops complaining... Is there a way to get it working without a
>bogus record for such "CNAME only" domains?

Im reading through this thread right now and haven't gotten all the way
through it but I decided to go ahead and answer this question.  A CNAME vs
an A name is quite simple. A CNAME points to an A name.  You can't have a
CNAME without a proper A name.  So this is why you would get a bogus
record.  If you have nothing for the CNAME to point to how can you use a
CNAME?  You can't :)

- Jim

Shouldn't this thread have been called: A names vs CNAMEs?

>Best regards,
>  Gabriel

Today's errors, in contrast:
Windows - "Invalid page fault in module kernel32.dll at 0032:A16F2935"
UNIX  - "segmentation fault - core dumped"
Humanous Beingsus - "OOPS, I've fallen and I can't get up"