Date:      Fri, 25 Jun 2004 11:42:30 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Joe O <joeo@cracktown.com>
To:        Peter Pauly <ppauly@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ARP / Cisco Router Wierdness

This behavior is consistent with most IOS based routers I've worked
around, they typically hold onto an ARP entry for about 20 minutes before
expiring it.  On linux I've used a network utility called send_arp that
can shoot a user specified gratuitous arp packet at another host on the
same layer2 network.  I'm sure there are other tools available to do the
same from freebsd (if you don't have administrative access to the cisco to
clear the arp cache).  I'm not sure if I like cisco routers by default
being willing to accept an arp response that it didn't request, but that's
a different issue.