Date:      Wed, 26 Feb 2003 11:21:25 -0800
From:      Shannon -jj Behrens <jj@nttmcl.com>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Cc:        Marc van Kempen <marc@bowtie.nl>
Subject:   Re: performance results of 1.3.1 hotspot

I don't know what the hell I'm talking about, but my guess is that hotspot uses
a lot more memory; since the database is on the same machine as the Web server,
the database ends up with less RAM, thus slowing it down.

Best Regards,
-jj

On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 09:46:36AM +0100, Marc van Kempen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just ran a performance test on the jdk 1.3.1 hotspot compiler with the
> latest patches released by Greg.
>
> We have developed a webbased content management system, running on tomcat
> 4.0.6.
>
> The CMS generates the webpages dynamically, as such it is pretty database
> intensive, however, the acl's (permissions) are cached and all database
> information is first loaded in java objects, then converted to xml with
> castor and then transformed to html using xslt.
>
> So we have a good mix of database operations and jvm operations.
>
> OS: FreeBSD 4.7-stable (27 Jan 2003)
>
> I ran apache benchmark (ab) on a webpage which is typical for the system.
>
> Document Length:        14604 bytes
> Concurrency Level:      4
>
> and got the following times:
>
> - running jdk1.3.1 patchlevel 7 gives:
>
> Time taken for tests:   21.216 seconds
> Complete requests:      50
> Failed requests:        0
> Total transferred:      743450 bytes
> HTML transferred:       730200 bytes
> Requests per second:    2.36
> Transfer rate:          35.04 kb/s received
>
> - running jdk1.3.1 patchlevel 8, with green threads (no hotspot):
>
> Time taken for tests:   20.311 seconds
> Complete requests:      50
> Failed requests:        0
> Total transferred:      743450 bytes
> HTML transferred:       730200 bytes
> Requests per second:    2.46
> Transfer rate:          36.60 kb/s received
>

> - running jdk1.3.1 patchlevel 8, with hotspot enabled (I moved -server to
> the top in jvm.cfg).
>
> Time taken for tests:   62.054 seconds
> Complete requests:      50
> Failed requests:        0
> Total transferred:      772652 bytes
> HTML transferred:       758872 bytes
> Requests per second:    0.81
> Transfer rate:          12.45 kb/s received
>
> (I ran this test several times, to make sure that the hotspot compiler got
> its chance)
>
> So the hotspot compiler jvm is approximately 3 times slower than the
> non-hotspot compiler with green threads.
>
> When I look at the profiling output in our logfile, I can see that after a
> while the cpu intensive parts gets faster (on average) than with the
> non-hotspot compiler, however the times vary much more.
> The database intensive part however is *much* slower, typically between
> 2000ms and 6000ms. For the non-hotspot compiler this is between 300ms and
> 1200ms.
>
> This is the puzzling part, the database performance should be about the
> same, and if anything, a little bit faster.
>
> The database we use is Solid 3.51, with a JDBC driver. The database runs on
> the same machine as the webserver.
>
> (How long does it take for hotspot to compile the neccesary parts of the
> code? Now I ran this test for about 10 minutes before doing the final test
> run)
>
> - running jdk1.3.1 patchlevel 8, with hotspot disabled, (I moved -classic
> [...]

Hacker is to software engineer as
Climbing Mt. Everest is to building a Denny's there.