Date:      09 Oct 2004 10:02:37 -1000
From:      Gary Dunn <knowtree@aloha.com>
To:        michaela <michaela@maa-net.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS(d)

On Sat, 2004-10-09 at 08:41, michaela wrote:

> Notice how the OWNERS and GROUPS of certain users (entries) don't belong to
> the proper "owners".  This causes, "PERMISSION DENIED" errors while trying to
> read email in PINE because the mailbox isn't 'owned' by the specific user.
>
> The /var/mail directory on my usermachine (nfs-client) is the same as on the
> emailserver (nfs-server).  However, when running NFS the filepermissions
> change the /var/mail directory on the userserver (nfs-client).
>
> I have the option -maproot=root in my /etc/exports file on the emailserver
> (nfs-server).

This only affects root. For security reasons, by default, root is not
allowed to map to root across NFS. Only allow it when you know your LAN
is well secured.

> Any idea to what might be causing this, and how I would resolve it???  I was
> thinking that even though I have the SAME users on each box, the UIDs are
> DIFFERENT on the two machines.  Could that be it?????

Yes, that is the problem. On my three box network I solve it by creating
all accounts on a single box, then using rsync to distribute. There are
three password files and the /etc/group file to keep in sync. I can't
recall the names of all three password files, I think it's /etc/passwd,
/etc/passwd.master, and /etc/passwd.db. You'll find them.

--

Gary Dunn
knowtree@aloha.com