Date:      Sat, 27 May 2000 23:22:34 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jahanur R Subedar <jahanur@jjsoft.com>
To:        cjclark@home.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Getway setup help through  cable modem!

Thank you for you response.

I have a home network and I am using this 17.16.0.0 virtual
addresses.
Now I have got cable installed ai want all the computer in my
home network to be able to go to the internet.
Yes you are right I have a hub that connects all my home network computers
and at the same time I have connected the freebsd at same hub
and then connected the cable modem to that uplink port on the hub.
After long research I am able to go outside to internet from the Freebsd.

Now the same ed1 is also acting as ed1_alias0 , this ed1_alias0 is
is setup for home network Ip address. And ed1 is setup the Static IP
provided by the CAble provider.
My main plan is to go to the internet from the home network.
Please help

On Sat, 27 May 2000, Crist J. Clark wrote:

> On Sat, May 27, 2000 at 01:04:47AM -0500, Jahanur R Subedar wrote:
> >
> > HI Folks,
> >
> > The service ppl came and installed the  cable modem with Static IP.
> > I am trying to make a Freebsd 2.2.5 server to act as an Getway for my
> > 4 other internal Lan computers.
> >
> > This is what I have done so far:
> > 1) Installed a network card in the Freebsd machine.
> > 2) Configured the rc.conf file for ifconfig with the static IP address
> > given to me by cable modem company.
> > 3) also Configured an alias of the same NIC with virtual IP address to see
> > the Local LAN.
>
> Couple of things:
>
>   1) Where did this "virtual" IP address come from?
>
>   2) LAN means local area network. Isn't "local LAN" somewhat
>      redundant?
>
>   3) You have no "local LAN." Everything connected to the hub is all
>      one LAN with the cable LAN.
>
> > 4) Set the Defaultrouter="cable_modem_ip_address"
> > 5) Set the Getway_enable+"YES"
> > 6) modified the hosts, resolve.conf and hosts.equiv.
>                                           ^^^^^^^^^^^
> I would strongly suggest you not trust IP addresses when you are
> hooked up to a untruested network like a coax cable LAN.
>
> > 7) Connected a RJ45 UTP cable from the HUB "out_to_hub" port to the cable
> > modem RJ45 port.
> > 8) Connected one of the RJ45 from the HUB to the NIC of the FreeBSD RJ45.
>
> Do all of the link lights come on?
>
> > 9) Reebooted the system.
> >
> > I am still not being able to go outside from the FreeBSD.
>
> >From what you described, your FreeBSD box should talk to the outside
> just fine. However, from what you descrbed, it is not acting like a
> gateway for anyone.
>
> > Please help me where am I doing wrong.
> > Do you think I need IPFW/NATD installed?
>
> Probably.
> --
> Crist J. Clark                           cjclark@home.com

Jahanur R Subedar