Date:      Sat, 15 Apr 2006 16:23:00 +0200
From:      Benjamin Lutz <benlutz@datacomm.ch>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why are people singing there postings on this mailling list ?

--nextPart2588768.si11pzXmfW

On Saturday 15 April 2006 15:23, Kees Plonsz wrote:
> Is is so important to know that the question or answer came from
> that person ? I don't think so.
> Even if it were so, for me it is too much trouble to import every key
> into my key-database from a key-server.

I sign emails for the same reason I sign my snail-mail letters with a pen. =
I=20
like providing authenticity. Whether the recipient actually checks the=20
signatures is not that important, important is that if the need or desire=20
arises, he can.

I don't import every key I come across either, usually only those keys for=
=20
which I get signatures on a regular basis.

> On the other hand, those who aren't able to read singed messages
> are confronted with a lot of carbage tekst wich makes the posting
> harder to read.

Most people use PGP/Mime these days. If your mail client does not support P=
GP,=20
the signature will be surpressed or maybe shown as attachment. Either way,=
=20
that doesn't make the mail content harder to read. And if your Mail client=
=20
doesn't support Mime yet, well, that's your choice, and seeing the signatur=
e=20
plaintext is far from the worst inconvience you'll have to put up with in=20
that case.

> We don't send postings in .html for that same reason.

That's different. Html text means there's no readable content at all for=20
non-HTML mail readers. And these are quite common.

I sign my emails for two other reasons. First, I'm advocating adoption of P=
GP=20
by everyone. I wish to sensitize people for the facts that standard emails=
=20
are neither private nor authenticated, and that you can achieve these very=
=20
important things with PGP. Frankly, I find it staggering how many people se=
nd
around confidential information in emails over the public internet, without=
=20
thinking of the consequences.

The second reason is very personal. It takes some effort on my part to sign=
=20
email. I am not using any key agent, which means I enter my keyphrase every=
=20
time I send an email. This makes the process of sending an email more=20
conscious for me: I think twice whether I really want to send it. Sometimes=
=20
times I've stopped myself from sending an email I would later regret (a=20
flame, or an angry answer, something like that) at the signing stage. It=20
means that sending an email is not as much of a fire-and-forget thing for m=
e.=20
I like that.

Cheers
Benjamin