Date:      Fri, 20 Nov 1998 18:51:49 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        larry_nilsen <larry_nilsen@eee.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: detecting sio2

larry_nilsen writes:
> is there somthing i can put in my generic kernel so
> freeBSD can probe sio2 when i am booting up
> thats where my modem is and freeBSD doesnt no it yet
> ive exhausted ways to do this.im also a newbie and
> need "step by step " instructions im running freebsd 2.2.7

All of this assumes you have a real modem and not a WinModem. If you
have a winmodem your only choice is to buy something else.

The FreeBSD 3.0 /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC contains these:

device          sio0    at isa? port "IO_COM1" flags 0x10 tty irq 4
device          sio1    at isa? port "IO_COM2" tty irq 3
device          sio2    at isa? disable port "IO_COM3" tty irq 5
device          sio3    at isa? disable port "IO_COM4" tty irq 9

If your 2.2.7 contains the above sio2 disabled line then you could boot
the kernel into config mode and type the answers for your modem. At the
booteasy prompt type "-cv". Then follow the instructions on the screen.

Otherwise you could copy the GENERIC to say, "LARRY", add the
appropriate line from above (edited as needed, "disable" removed).
Should read the man page for sio first. Don't worry if you don't
understand everything. You can replwce IO_COM3 with real numbers such
as 0x2e8. These numbers should not be quoted. Don't share an IRQ.

If you go changing the file name to LARRY you should also change this
line. If your kernel config name includes numbers, quote it. Quotes
don't hurt in any case:

ident           GENERIC

ident		"LARRY"

Then (as root, with /usr/src/sys/i386/conf as your current directory)
you type:

# config LARRY
# cd ../../conf/LARRY 		# or where ever config says
				# it put the stuff).
# make depend
# make kernel
# make install
# shutdown -r now

In the unlikely event your new kernel is broken so badly you can't
boot, then at the boot prompt where you might have typed "-cv" above,
type "kernel.old" to use the old kernel. You'll have to use chflags to
unlock /kernel so you can delete it and "mv kernel.old kernel" to
permanently undo the damage. We'll deal with that if it comes to it.

This stuff really is in the handbook.