Date:      Sat, 27 Jun 1998 18:38:14 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Ken McGlothlen <mcglk@serv.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Arne Woerner <arne.woerner@tu-clausthal.de>, FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   "Child-endangering sites" (was: Arne Woerner)

(Removed John Fieber from the list; he's not responsible for the web
site any more.  Wolfram Schneider is).

On Saturday, 27 June 1998 at  0:37:02 -0700, Ken McGlothlen wrote:
> Mr Woerner's complaints have to do with the following links on the
> www.freebsd.org/cgallery.html page:
>
> 	http://www.freexxxvideo.com/	(All Free XXX Videos)
> 	http://www.netpics.com/		(NetPics)
> 	http://www.persiankitty.com/	(WWW.PersianKitty.COM)
>
> He feels that the links should be removed because they are "child-endangering."
>
> Personally, I feel that (a) the FreeBSD site isn't really designed for children
> anyway, (b) the guy is just an overzealous moralizer out to gripe, (c) they are
> FreeBSD-powered sites, and it's not the job of freebsd.org to make judgments.

In case you don't know, a German court recently came to a verdict
which I consider completely ridiculous: ISPs are responsible for *all*
data passing through their network.  Interestingly, the phone company
isn't: another judgement has loosened the requirements for phone
monitoring.

I consider this the latest in a line of stupid, short-sighted and
ill-informed judgements by German courts.  I don't condone that kind
of site, but the expectation that ISPs should monitor all traffic is
not just ridiculous, it infringes on other basic rights of privacy,
which until recently was regarded very highly in German society.

I would guess that:

1.  Arne is complaining more out of a sense of obligation than any
    real interest in the matter.  Most Germans I know aren't too
    worried about pornography on the net.  Many German "family"
    magazines frequently have photos of half-naked women.

2.  He seems to be relating to www.de.FreeBSD.org, not
    www.FreeBSD.org; at least he has now complained to the people who
    run www.de.FreeBSD.org.  I suppose they'll be forced to take it
    seriously, given the current legal situation.

3.  He's complaining about links, not content.  Not even the German
    courts can expect people to follow all links through to the bitter
    end to ensure they don't have any multiple indirect pointers to
    subject material which may at some time be indecent.

> Perhaps a disclaimer at the top of the page that says
>
> 	Some of these sites contain material not suitable for children.  Please
> 	consider yourself forewarned.
>
> and not removing the links would be enough.  I hate seeing people cave into
> hypermoralists.

I think that would be too much already.  I see no reason to change
things unless somebody decides to remove the links altogether.

Greg