Date:      01 Apr 2000 14:39:06 -0500
From:      Arcady Genkin <a.genkin@utoronto.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Rotating apache logs (new logs don't appear)

I've set up a cron job to rotate apache access and error logs, but
suspect that there's a fault with my script.

It's been more than 36 hours since the last rotation, and the new logs
just don't appear (and I know that there has been traffic). Here's
what I came up with for the script:
,----
| #! /bin/sh
| # Rename current logs to have today's day of week suffix
|
| ACCESS_LOG=/var/log/apache_access_log
| ERROR_LOG=/var/log/apache_error_log
|
| # set $DAY to day of week
| DAY=`date | awk '{print $1}'`
|
| ACCESS_LOG_DAY=$ACCESS_LOG.$DAY
| ERROR_LOG_DAY=$ERROR_LOG.$DAY
|
| if [ -w $ACCESS_LOG ]
| then
|   mv $ACCESS_LOG $ACCESS_LOG.tmp
|   # remove all entries for local access
|   egrep -v '^192\.168\.[0-9]*\.[0-9]*' $ACCESS_LOG.tmp > $ACCESS_LOG_DAY
|   rm -f $ACCESS_LOG.tmp
| fi
|
| if [ -w $ERROR_LOG ]
| then
|   mv $ERROR_LOG $ERROR_LOG_DAY
|   mail -s "Apache errors log for $DAY" < $ERROR_LOG_DAY webmaster
| fi
`----

I suspect that perhaps apache keeps track of the log file as a file
descriptor and doesn't check if the file needs to be re-created when
trying to write to it, but I might be wrong.

Thanks for any ideas!
--
Arcady Genkin                                 http://www.thpoon.com
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.