Date:      Mon, 20 Jul 1998 07:49:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Patrick Gardella <patrick@cre8tivegroup.com>
To:        Udo Wolter <uwp@postamt1.charite.de>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Java & VNC

On 20-Jul-98 Udo Wolter wrote:
> Hi !
>
> I'm using the vnc-tool with which I'm able to get a Windows 95/NT Screen
> onto my X11-Display. The binary version works quite well, but I think
> the better solution would be to do it in a browser window.

It is if you don't have the vncviewer availible.  The browser version is slower.

> So there's a JAVA version of vnc. It has a makefile because it's just
> the source. I tried to compile it with kaffe and guavac but nothing
> worked. So maybe anyone has the class-files (.jar) anywhere ? Or maybe
> I forgot to setup something ? Do I need to get the JDK from Sun ?

You need to install the JDK for freebsd.  It's in the ports collection,
/usr/ports/lang/jdk

After that, it compiles fine.

> I only have the classes from netscape and I'm totally new to
> compiling JAVA (BTW, I don't understand why they give it out as JAVA source
> because as binaries it should anyway run anywhere because of the binary
> compatibility, am I right ?).

Nevertheless, you still need to have the JDK installed (or in the case of
binaries, JRE), to run the compiled code.  The Java Virtual Machine is what
runs the code.

Patrick