Date:      Mon, 03 Jul 2000 01:22:57 +0200
From:      Andre Oppermann <oppermann@telehouse.ch>
To:        obrien@freebsd.org
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Import of new NetBSD ARP subsystem

David O'Brien wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 01, 2000 at 05:10:04PM +0200, Andre Oppermann wrote:
> > What is the status of the import of the link-level independent arp
> > subsystem?
> ...snip...
> > Description here:
> >  http://www.daemonnews.org/199809/underhood.html
>
> Since daemonnews.org isn't answering me at the moment, you would do a
> much better selling job if you would give some _details_ in your email.

Hmm, that page is working fine for me...

OK, here you go, excerpt from that page:

: Traditional BSD kernels have only supported mapping IP addresses to
Ethernet
: 6-byte MAC addresses (and the FDDI and Token-Ring lookalikes).
: However, when dealing with other types of addresses like ARCnet, AX25
packet
: radio, etc. with a different length, more general aspects of the ARP
mapping
: have to be implemented. This paper reports on the one-to-N mapping
developed
: for NetBSD.
:
: Old BSD networking up to and including 4.4BSD-lite has only supported
IP version
: 4 over Ethernet. All modern operating systems based on 4.4BSD-lite
have inherited
: this limitation. The exception are link types that use the same 6-byte
addressing
: as Ethernet (e.g., FDDI).
: ...

Reading the whole page is still necessary, it provides much more detail
about the changes.

--
Andre