Date:      Mon, 21 Jul 1997 13:08:14 -0600
From:      Scott Brown <skb@icey.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Questions, questions...

Okay, I figured out how to install 2.2.2, it's up and running and not
doing a lot just yet.

I'm feeling kind of lost.  I'm pretty much a Unix newbie to begin with,
and the available documentation is either non-tutorial (man pages) or
kind of not really terribly helpful for a novice (handbook).  I
generally have a good idea of what I want to do, but no clear idea of
how to get there.  A sampling of the questions/problems I've had so far:

How can I login as root from a remote location?
How do I partition and format a 2nd hard disk?
Is there an easy way to create a new account?
Can FreeBSD support my old Thomas-Conrad 5045 Ethernet adapter?
How do I get Apache running, since sysinstall can't find it?

If anyone knows of a good way to start learning this stuff, I'd like to
hear it.  I'd love to get my hands on something like a big, heavy,
1000-plus-page Unix system administrator's guidebook, if anyone cares to
recommend a title.  "Unix for Dummies" I can do without.  :)

Thanks,

-Scott