Date:      Tue, 18 Jul 1995 15:13:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Rick Weldon <rjw@clark.net>
To:        "Amancio Hasty Jr." <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What people are doing with FBSD

On Tue, 18 Jul 1995, Amancio Hasty Jr. wrote:

> o Voice and Fax -- right now my FreeBSD box serves as an answering/fax
>   machine . I really like this a lot since I hate answering machines or
>   stupid fax machines. Nor scanner though.

Do you have anything written up on how you are doing this? Even a quick
thing like this is what I am using and the hardware involved if any.

> o Occasionally, I watched a VideoCD on my box or on TV.
>   The other day I gave a demo to an old friend of mine  and he sat down
>   and watch the whole movie so watch out! Since, I had already seen
>   the movie I just kept on typing on my system :)

How are you pulling this off as well? Just call him Mr. Multimedia. :-)

My day job I work for the Air Force. We use FreeBSD boxes as mail
gateways, desktop workstations etc... Right now we are setting up a
Multicast network internally for communications between serveral
divisions scattered around the Pentagon. I anticipate using FreeBSD
boxes with GUS cards, mic's etc.... to put out in the user areas for
commo among the offices. They are a wonderfully cheap solution for
this type of stuff. I would be very interested in setting them up
as fax/answering systems that could record mail messages and let the
user play them back on their SUN/FreeBSD mime capable workstation.
Is this far-fetched or even possible? I seem to remember Amancio posting
something like this a while back.

> Okay, is not rocket science ...

Sounds like rocket science to me. :-)

> 	Enjoy,