Date:      Sun, 17 Oct 1999 22:05:18 -0500
From:      Len Huppe <huppe@mailtag.com>
To:        ATeslik@aol.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3com 3c905c-tx-m NIC

ATeslik@aol.com wrote:

> Hello,
>
> So, I went and returned that Linksys LNE100TXII NIC and bought a 3Com
> 3C905C-TX-M NIC instead. It seems to have been a bad move because when I
> compile "xl" into my kernel, the card doesn't even show up during boot.
> Again, the dos diags that came with it have no problem seeing it, but FreeBSD
> can't. This is getting really old really fast. Plug and Play in the bios is
> set to auto, then I tried manual, then I tried recompiling my kernel, then I
> read all the archives, then searched up and down for a driver. Nothing. Does
> anyone have this card and have success using it? It doesn't even come up!
> Grrrrrr.
>
> Alex

What exactly are you entering into your kernel config file for the nic?
If you have "device xl" as you stated above, change it to "device xl0".
I'm running two 3C905's in my proxy system and they work just fine.  To
do that I added two devices to my kernel config: xl0 and xl1.  I also
have plug and pray disabled in my BIOS.  I *never* use pnp.

Len Huppe