Date:      Tue, 17 Feb 2004 14:04:08 +0100
From:      Simon Barner <barner@in.tum.de>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Libraries with threading and debugging support

--b5gNqxB1S1yM7hjW

Hi,

I am currently working on the devel/boost[1] port, but my question is more
general and I could not find any policy statement in the documentation.

How should one handle different versions of the same library, i.e.
debugging and release version of the library, single and multi-threaded
version, etc.?

The boost library by default installs every possible combination, i.e.
up to 8 if one also considers shared vs. static libraries.

To my mind, this is quite a lot, so I had the following thoughts:

- Install both a shared and a static version (like other ports do)
  (naming scheme lib<library name>.so.<#> and lib<library name>.a, as
  described in [2])
 =20
- If the user requests the debugging version, skip the build of the
  release version and install the debugging-enabled libraries instead
  (with the same naming scheme)
 =20
- I am not too sure about threading support: Should I install extra
  multi-threaded versions of the libraries, e.g.
  lib<library name>-mt.so.<#> and lib<library name>-mt.a, or should I
  install the instead of the single-threaded ones (like in the
  release vs. debugging version case)?

Any comments are very appreciated, since I'd really like to unbreak the
port on 5.x.

Simon

--=20
[1]: http://www.boost.org