Date:      Wed, 6 Sep 1995 18:54:26 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Richard Toren <rpt@miles.sso.loral.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Cyrix - mis-id

Folks,
  I just say a message about a shortcomming of the Cyrix processor. That
made me think about an oddity when I boot. The boot messages start out:

FreeBSD 2.0.5-RELEASE #0: Mon Sep  4 13:27:24 EDT 1995
    rpt@dragon:/usr/src/sys/compile/DRAGON2
CPU: Cy486DLC (486-class CPU)
  Origin = "Cyrix"

But the chip is not a Cyrix, and does have an fpu! Are there any special
actions taken because of the DLC designation?

I can't find a manufacturers name on the chip, but it does have the phrase
  "it's 486" in an italic script that looks alot like that used in the
Inovative Technology ads.

Rip Toren               | The bad news is that C++ is not an object-oriented |
rpt@miles.sso.loral.com | programming language. .... The good news is that   |
                        | C++ supports object-oriented programming.          |
                        |    C++ Programming & Fundamental Concepts          |
                        |     by Anderson & Heinze                           |