Date:      Fri, 3 Sep 1999 15:19:37 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        Dutch Collins <dutch@charm.net>
Cc:        umbclinux@lists.umbc.edu, Freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Recommend a favorite emacs book

On Thu, Sep 02, 1999 at 08:08:03PM -0400, Dutch Collins wrote:
> Anyone have a favorite emacs book they would like to recommend. emacs
> 20.4 is not the same thing I used (PDP-11/45) before. It is not killing
> me right now, but some of the online docs are still fighting for the chance.
> I do have keystroke books but no advanced topics; mail and customization.

If you're just trying to navigate around emacs, and you don't want to
program it, I can recommend xemacs.  It's got menus (actually, now I
think about it, I hear that newer emacs has as well, but it's been ages
since I tried it) so that you don't need to spend lots of time learning
what the basic commands are, you can just pick them from the menu.  It
also has a 'teach' mode, where it shows you the name of the function
that it ran in response to your menu choice, so you can learn the functions
as you go.

 [intentional self-reference] can be easily accommodated using a blessed,
 non-self-referential dummy head-node whose own object destructor severs
 the links.
    -- Tom Christiansen in <375143b5@cs.colorado.edu>