Date:      Mon, 21 Sep 1998 08:16:32 -0400 (EDT)
From:      BEAUPRE Antoine <beaupran@JSP.UMontreal.CA>
To:        Matthew Lager <root@lynxcom.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question about FreeBSD...

On Sun, 20 Sep 1998, Matthew Lager wrote:

> Hello...
>
> Today I was just given a 56K modem by a friend. The modem is internal and
> has no jumpers or pins on it. This would obviously make it plug and play.

indeed.

> I was wandering if there is any way to get a PnP modem working in FreeBSD.

yes.

> I currently have a 33.6 external modem running on cuaa1 and a mouse
> running on cuaa0 (serial mouse).

If there's no IRQ conflict, you can run it "out of the box". If not,
you'll need to config some stuff. I have a Cirrus Logic V32bis PnP, and it
worked w/o any config. (well I *had* reconfigured my kernel, but I could
have managed w/o it...)

> If you could help me or direct me to
> someone that could, that would be awesome. Please email me back ASAP =)
> Thanks.
>
> P.S. I am running FreeBSD 2.2.7

2.2.7 offers pnp support...
Here ya go:

1) man pnp
2) rebuild your kernel
3) install the device at the boot prompt

and it will work.

Mail me back for more info if you need.

|  Free the world from businessmen  |
|   Free yourself from your money   |