Date:      Wed, 11 Mar 1998 07:57:00 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        jkh@FreeBSD.ORG, steph8@flash.net, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sound Question

> > > yes but in the docs it says that PnP cards are assigned the next
> > > available unit numbers, so you get pcm1 ... i don't see where is the
> > It does confuse a lot of folks though, especially since they now have
> > work.  Why isn't 0 used as the first unit for some people?  On my
> At the time that the PCI/ISA probe runs, it has now way of knowing
> whether the static configuration values that are possessed by the ISA
> instance actually correspond to anything.  So it can't up and take it
> away.

in any case i agree that this is ugly, but I don't have a good solution
other than to use some bit in the "flags" field to tell the driver that
it is allowed to grab the statically configured unit number.

But if this is done, i'd like to see it done consistently also for PCI
devices, otherwise it will just add confusion.

	cheers
	luigi