Date:      Thu, 21 Dec 2000 18:55:20 -0700
From:      Murray <mgd@brutus.converging.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   how to recovery an old kernel?

Hi,

I just built a new 4.2 workstation and used a kernel from another
system. The other system had a pentium ii, but the  new system has a
pentium iii. Therefore, in the old kernel the cpu was set as 586, not
686. Therefore, the new system does not boot, it hangs as it tries to
determine the cpu.

I initially copied the old  system's kernel to the new system and then
recompiled. I am guessing here but it seems that the only  thing I
need to do is change the cpu setting in my
kernel and then recompile.

If I could only rn kernel to kernel.bad and then rename kernel.old to
kernel and then reboot and recompile correctly, everything would be ok.

How do you boot a bad kernel so that you could do the above? I tried
going into edit mode at the point where you can boot in 9 seconds...
or press any other key. However, I cannot accomplish anything here.
--
Murray Davis
Converging Technology Solutions