Date:      Thu, 21 Dec 1995 11:39:53 -0500 (EST)
From:      Charles Owens <owensc@enc.edu>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SIMMs: Parity vs. EDO ?

On Fri, 22 Dec 1995, Michael Smith wrote:

> Charles Owens stands accused of saying:
> > When I check out the various RAM distributors, I can't seem to find EDO
> > simms that also support parity!  Why is this?  EDO doesn't make parity a
> > moot point, does it?
>
> Just about the only chipset that supports EDO is the Intel Triton, which
> doesn't generate or check parity, so it's a bit of a moot point.

I'm looking at a ASUS P55SP4 motherboard, based on the SiS 5511/5512/5513
chipset.  I BELEIVE that it supports parity memory (the earlier SiS
chipset does - anyone know for sure?), but I know that it supports EDO.
Hence my question.

> Having said that, I'm not terribly enamoured of parity memory anyway; what
> good does it serve?  ECC memory I can understand, but parity? Nehh.

Ok, do you know of any good&cheap ECC-supporting motherboards?  I'm
trying to avoid the cost that comes with the Compaq and HP server lines.
I'm trying to build the most stable system possible for the best price.
I gather that you don't think that parity memory is helpful to this goal?

Systems with parity memory can't do much more than halt when a parity
error occurs, right?  Am I right in assuming that systems with ECC memory
will correct such parity-type errors and keep chugging along?  Will
FreeBSD work with such motherboards?

Thanks for your response!

(Please CC responses to me, as I'm not subscribed to this list)
---
  Charles Owens					 Email:  owensc@enc.edu
                                       "I read somewhere to learn is to
  Information Technology Services     remember... and I've learned that
  Eastern Nazarene College            we've all forgot..."   - King's X