Date:      Thu, 19 Feb 2004 19:08:35 +0100
From:      Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Filesystem support on DVD-RAMs

--Boundary-02=_quPNAUbVjG9BsmW

I recently got an LG GSA-4081B multiwriter, which also supports DVD-RAM. I'=
ve=20
been quite enthusiastic about finally having a a really big sort-of-floppy=
=20
disk I can use without any packet-writing nonsense & such, so I spent a bit=
=20
of time rebooting and formatting and mounting to find out which filesystem=
=20
would be best suited for carrying around data on DVD-RAMs with me (see tabl=
e=20
below).

Right now it would seem that ext2fs needs to fixed to be able to mount=20
filesystems from cd-devices, and newfs_msdos needs to be fixed to create=20
filesystems on cd-devices. Furthermore, we probably need some new disktab=20
entries for typical DVD-RAM media. I've done all this on a -STABLE machine,=
=20
since the burner is in a -STABLE machine. I've cc'd -current because I'd li=
ke=20
to know if the situation is any different in -CURRENT / 5.2 and because=20
someone might want to append the table with results for UDF 1.5 and UDF 2.0=
,=20
which I didn't bother to test because UDF support still isn't MFC'd.

Some notes on the table: Read+Write NO in Linux and FreeBSD equals "no=20
mounting possibe". UFS means UFS1 (newfs from -STABLE was used).

       | FreeBSD    | Linux          | Windows 2000 (with drive-  | Win98 S=
E |
       | 4.9-Stable | Knoppix-2.4.20 | vendor-supplied driver)    | (plain)=

=2D------------------------------------------------------------------------=
=2D----
=46at 32 |            |                |                            |      =

Create |    NO      |       NO       |           YES              |    NO  =

=2D------------------------------------------------------------------------=
=2D----
=46at 32 |            |                |                            |      =

Read   |    YES     |       YES      |           YES              |    YES =

=2D------------------------------------------------------------------------=
=2D----
=46at 32 |            |                |                            |      =

Write  |    YES     |       YES      |           YES              |    NO  =

=2D------------------------------------------------------------------------=
=2D----
NTFS   |            |                |                            |        =

Create |    NO      |       NO       |           YES              |    NO  =

=2D------------------------------------------------------------------------=
=2D----
NTFS   |            |                |                            |        =

Read   |    NO      |       YES      |           YES              |    NO  =

=2D------------------------------------------------------------------------=
=2D----
NTFS   |            |                |                            |        =

Write  |    NO      |    Untested    |           YES              |    NO  =

=2D------------------------------------------------------------------------=
=2D----
EXT2   |            |                |                            |        =

Create |    YES     |       YES      |           NO               |    NO  =

=2D------------------------------------------------------------------------=
=2D----
EXT2   |            |                |                            |        =

Read   |    NO      |       YES      |           NO               |    NO  =

=2D------------------------------------------------------------------------=
=2D----
EXT2   |            |                |                            |        =

Write  |    NO      |       YES      |           NO               |    NO  =

=2D------------------------------------------------------------------------=
=2D----=20
UFS    |            |                |                            |        =

Create |    YES     |       NO       |           NO               |    NO  =

=2D------------------------------------------------------------------------=
=2D----
UFS    |            |                |                            |        =

Read   |    YES     |       NO       |           NO               |    NO  =

=2D----
UFS    |            |                |                            |        =

Write  |    YES     |       NO       |           NO               |    NO  =

=2D----

=2D-=20
   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi@freebsd.org