Date:      Tue, 22 Jul 1997 10:57:02 +1000 (EST)
From:      "Daniel O'Callaghan" <danny@panda.hilink.com.au>
To:        Mike D Tancsa <mdtancsa@sentex.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: preventing ICMP echo requests to the broadcast address

On Mon, 21 Jul 1997, Mike D Tancsa wrote:

> Is there any easy way to always prevent someone from pinging the
> broadcast addresses on my networks other than explicitly filtering
> them using ipfw ?

In /etc/rc.firewall, after the allow all from 127.0.0.1 to 127.0.0.1
rule add a rule '/sbin/ipfw add deny all from 0.0.0.255:0.0.0.255'

Note that the above only blocks the broadcast address of class C networks
- you should adjust if you use subnet sizes other than /24.

> Also, while on the topic of ipfw, does anyone know how much processor
> overhead ipfw adds to the system ?  I suppose the more rules one
> adds the worse it gets.  But does anyone have a reasonable guestimate ?

A 686-120/P150+ with 500 rules and passing 200 pps amounting to more
than 512kbps runs at about 4.5% CPU in 'system'.

It also depends on the number of rules each packet is compared against.

/*  Daniel O'Callaghan                                                     */
/*  HiLink Internet <http://www.hilink.com.au/>;       danny@hilink.com.au  */
/*  FreeBSD - works hard, plays hard...                 danny@freebsd.org  */