Date:      Thu, 14 May 1998 22:21:47 +0100 (BST)
From:      Duncan Barclay <dmlb@ragnet.demon.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Opinion on editors (vile and vim)

Hi

I don't want to start a flame fest; just trying to work out whether switching to
Vim-5.x from Vile-7.x is worth it.

I have been using Vile for the past few years and I am comfortable with its
approach to the "Vi" extras (selections, scripting language...)
Vim is similar in functionality but does seem to have a very different way
of dealing with selections.

I think I might like the syntax highlighting in Vim; Vile has this but it
uses an external filter program thus Vile highlights don't update as you are
editing.

What are your opinions on syntax highlighting? Is it worth the grief to switch
editors just to get Vim's dynamic highlighting?

Duncan

---