Date:      Fri, 27 Feb 98 16:29:58 MEZ
From:      Stefan Boresch <stefan@mdy.univie.ac.at>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2.6 for NFS server

I briefly contributed to this thread by mentioning that I was/am
encountering severe (performance) problems between a FreeBSD server
(2.2-stable machine, last make world around end of January) and SGIs
running IRIX 5.3 and 6.1 as the client.  In return the question came
up whether this happens using NFSv3 or NFSv2.

It turns out that this is a good question.  I sort of 'inherited'
the administration of these SGIs and have little expertise in
IRIX 5.3 and 6.1.  I don't find in the manpages any option to
choose between NFSv3 and NFSv2.  I believe, however, that 5.3
doesn't even support v3.  Further, doesn't mounting with

mount -t nfs -o wsize=1024 server1:/temp_data /tmp_mnt/data
(or a larger size for wsize)

imply NFSv2.  The wsize option is irrelevant for v3, isn't it.  I
frequently have to mount as specified above as omitting the wsize
statement leads to file truncation errors.  BTW, the syslog entry on
IRIX 6.1 specifically mentions NFS2 (I cut it out wrong in my last
posting)

Feb 27 13:28:12 2A:octopus unix: NFS2 write failed for server server1: Can't encode arguments
Feb 27 13:28:12 2A:octopus unix: NFS write error 5 on host server1
Feb 27 13:28:18 2A:octopus unix: xdr_bytes: bad size FAILED

My main gripe is truly the performance, 20kB/sec isn't usable for
anything practical!  (It can't be my network since FreeBSD as a NFS
client easily does 1MB/sec (this is a switched 10MBit EThernet
installation), for ftp even slightly better!)  I am happy to test and
follow suggestion.

Thanks,

Stefan