Date:      Fri, 14 Oct 2005 20:23:45 +0200
From:      Peter Reimer <punky@gmx.ch>
To:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PowerD Problem and strange cooler behaviour

>> Hello list,
>>
>> I've two problems with my Fujitsu Siemens Amilo M 7440 and I hope
>> someone have an idea.
>>
>> When I start the notebook, the cooler starts with the highest speep.
>> If the processor for a short time becomes warmer than 49.8°C
>> (2nd temperature in hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._ACx), the cooler stops. So,
>> after I start the notebook I compile the kernel to warm-up the
>> processor :) Is there another way to stop the cooler? I've already
>> googled around but haven't found another way yet.
>>
>> My 2nd problem deals with powerD. When I start powerD, it takes my
>> whole processor power and after some seconds, it needs about 90%. Some
>> seconds later, my system crashes (without a panic). I have cpufreq
>> compiled in my kernel, the rest of my kernel config is as GENERIC.
>>
>> My system is a Pentium M 1.73 GHz (perhaps Pentium 740).

> You did not mention your version of FreeBSD. I think, I have seen this
> problem in 5.x and then doing

Ou sorry, 6.0 RC1 (cvsuped yesterday)

> sysctl hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.active=0
> followed by
> sysctl hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.active=-1
> was the workaround.

I saw the thread and I've the same problem. I can't change the value
of hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.active ( I tried every value between -1 and
10).

> sysctl -a hw.acpi.thermal
(http://aucupor.gmxhome.de/hw.thermal.txt)

hw.acpi.thermal.min_runtime: 0
hw.acpi.thermal.polling_rate: 10
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.temperature: 38.8C
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.active: -1
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.thermal_flags: 0
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._PSV: 85.8C
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._HOT: -1
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._CRT: 104.8C
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._ACx: 64.8C 49.8C -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1

> right after boot will help as well as your ASL dump (see Handbook for
> directions on how to get one).

I've uploaded it to: http://aucupor.gmxhome.de/acpidump.txt.

Many thanks,
Peter