Date:      Tue, 9 Apr 2013 09:09:53 -0400
From:      Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ERROR: vxgehal-mgmtaux.c: sou vxge_hal_mrpcim_reg_t has too many members: 1911 > 1023

On Thu Oct 18 03:54:01 UTC 2012, Dennis Glatting wrote:

> While building a kernel, this error was emitted on several compiles:
>

> clang -O -pipe -DVXGE_HAL_RX_MULTI_POST -DVXGE_HAL_TX_MULTI_POST
> ERROR: vxgehal-mgmtaux.c: sou vxge_hal_mrpcim_reg_t has too many
> members: 1911 > 1023

I just found this posting through a Google search and I couldn't find a
followup or further information.  Thus, for the sake of anyone else
searching for this: this error comes from ctfconvert(1), when converting
debug information for a struct or union ("sou") which has more than 1023
members.  It looks like the 1023 limit is an inherent limit in the encoding
used by CTF; there's no constant that can just be increased as a workaround.

The error causes ctfconvert(1) to terminate, so the corresponding source
file will end up with no CTF data and hence dtrace will not work correctly.
 It looks like vxge_hal_mrpcim_reg_t is the only struct that triggers this
error, so the impact is limited to 16 files in the vxge(4) driver
(Exar/Neterion X3100 10GbE).