Date:      Thu, 9 Nov 2000 15:44:24 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The shared /bin and /sbin bikeshed

* Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG> [001109 14:52] wrote:

> > The real difference here is that I've seen several instances of a
> > Linux box unable to cope with this situation and a FreeBSD box
> > cope.  Linux locked up and FreeBSD 'gracefully' shot a process dead
> > and free'd up some memory.
> >
> > What "should" happen versus what _did_ happen doesn't make what
> > did happen untrue.
>
> No, but it does mean that what "did" happen for you on a Linux system is
> unlikely to be representative of what will happen under similar
> circumstances on a FreeBSD system, and thus your use of it as an argument
> against doing this is entirely invalid.

Sheesh Mike, I wasn't arguing against it, I was dissing on Linux.

But still, even with shared code, the shared libraries demand:

~/src/share/man/man3 % size /usr/lib/libc.so
 509098   15104   78200  602402   93122 /usr/lib/libc.so
.(15:41:45)(bright@kyle.wintelcom.net)
~/src/share/man/man3 % size /bin/ps
 184333    9928   37456  231717   38925 /bin/ps

I may be misinterpreting this output, but it looks like if you ever
mod FreeBSD to allow for disallowing of overcommit you might not
have fun in low memory situations because of the BSS and DATA
requirements needed for libc. (?)

Anyhow, I'm not really arguing for or against, just bringing up
some amusing experiances some coworkers had to deal with when
using Linux and dynamic /.

I really don't have much of a problem with a dynamic / since we
already have /stand.  Although /stand might need some new
programs added to compensate, or a counterpart that gets updated
as part of the installworld target.