Date:      Mon, 22 Nov 1999 11:56:40 +0100
From:      Matthias Teege <matthias@mteege.de>
To:        Edward Knight <efknight@bellsouth.net>
Cc:        "questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: copying filesystems into larger disk

On Sun, Nov 21, 1999 at 11:15:23AM +0000, Edward Knight wrote:
> My original FBSD disk is running out of space.  I got a larger disk and
> partitioned it
> for FBS, created larger filesystems with the same mount points using the
> minimal instalation.
>
> Now I want to use cpio to copy the filesystems from the old disk to the
> new one.  I think this is what I need to do, please correct me if I'm
> wrong.

There is a nice paper about "new disks" on www.freebsd.org. It is an
step by step introducing. This paper describes also the copying of file
systems with the "pax" command. I use it and it works great.

Hope this helps
Matthias

> >From / in the old disk do  find . -depth -print > /usr/tmp/fs.cp
>
> Connect the new disk as primary on the secondary IDE controller
> mount /dev/wd1s1a /mnt
> mount /dev/wd1s1e /mnt/var
> mount /dev/wd1s1f /mnt/usr
>
> cpio -pdumvt /mnt </tmp/fs.cp
>
> This should unconditionaly overwrite the files in the minimal
> instalation and copy in all the
> stuff from the old disk.
> I am assuming all links will be copied/created on the new disk as links.
>
> Thanks,
> Ted Knight

Matthias Teege -- matthias@mteege.de -- http://emugs.de
make world not war