Date:      Thu, 22 Jun 2000 01:05:30 -0500
From:      "Mark A. Hummel" <mhumm@ispchannel.com>
To:        Glenn Johnson <glennpj@bayouhome.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Can't start xdm on boot ???

Okay Glenn here's an update.  I just tried it -- still no good.  Maybe
it's because I'm a newbie, but I suspect I'm missing something very
obvious.

I didn't have to uncomment the line in /etc/ttys

ttyv8  "usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon" xterm on secure

It was already turned on (not remed out).

I changed the line in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers to:

:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X vt9

No good. I even changed it to vt8.  I notice that every time I reboot
and startx, X window runs in the terminal I specified by vt# minus 1 so
at least I'm affecting it.

by manually running xdm -nodaemon I get exactly what you said, the xdm
login screen.  Again though, everytime I boot or reboot, I always get
the text login prompt on ttyv0.

Mark