Date:      Fri, 07 Dec 2001 15:49:16 -0800
From:      Lars Eggert <larse@ISI.EDU>
To:        Srinivas Dharmasanam <the_srinivas@hotmail.com>
Cc:        sthaug@nethelp.no, j.saito@wanadoo.fr, dscheidt@enteract.com, freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMB driver on SMP FreeBSD4.2

Srinivas Dharmasanam wrote:

> The SMB driver on FreeBSD 4.2 system doesnt seem to function work on an
> SMP kernel. Any ioctl() call on the /dev/smb0 on an SMP kernel results
> in a "device not configured" error message.
>
> To reproduce this problem, just try running any of the system BIOS stats
> monitoring utilities such as, healthd, lmmon, etc. on an SMP 4.2 FreeBSD
> system.

I've run into this also. Some additional info:

1. This is still an issue with 4.4-RELEASE.
2. This is *not* limited to SMP kernels - it doesn't work on my laptop
either.
3. (Somewhat tangential) All SMBus utils assume the system has only one
SMBus - this is not always true (see below).

I have two systems running 4.4 that have SMBus chips in them, both don't
work.

First system is a SMP Dell Precision, relevant dmesg info:

bktr0: <BrookTree 878> mem 0xf6001000-0xf6001fff irq 13 at device 9.0 on
pci2
smb0: <SMBus generic I/O> on smbus0
bktr0: Hauppauge Model 61381 D423
bktr0: Detected a MSP3430G-A4 at 0x80
bktr0: Hauppauge WinCast/TV, Philips FR1236 NTSC FM tuner, msp3400c
stereo, remote control.
ichsmb0: <Intel 82801AA (ICH) SMBus controller> port 0xdcd0-0xdcdf irq
13 at device 31.3 on pci0
smbus1: <System Management Bus> on ichsmb0
smb1: <SMBus generic I/O> on smbus1

Second system is a Dell Latitude C600 laptop, relevant dmesg info:

apm0: <APM BIOS> on motherboard
apm: found APM BIOS v1.2, connected at v1.2
intpm0: <Intel 82371AB Power management controller> port 0x840-0x84f irq
9 at device 7.3 on pci0
intpm0: I/O mapped 840
intpm0: intr IRQ 9 enabled revision 0
smbus0: <System Management Bus> on intsmb0
smb0: <SMBus general purpose I/O> on smbus0
intpm0: PM I/O mapped 800

Lars
--
Lars Eggert <larse@isi.edu>               Information Sciences Institute