Date:      Fri, 03 Dec 2004 18:38:02 -0500
From:      Trey Sizemore <trey@fastmail.fm>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sound and KDE

On Fri, 2004-12-03 at 17:17 -0500, Gerard Seibert wrote:
> I have just recently completed a fresh install of FreeBSD 5.3. Upon
> completion, I built a new 'kernel', which included a sound driver.
> Everything seems to work correctly. Using 'cdcontrol', I can play an audio
> disk without any problems.
>
> Unfortunately, I cannot get sound to work in KDE. I have the latest
> versions of 'xorg' and 'kde' loaded. When 'kde' loads, it displays this
> error message:
>
> Sound Server information message:
> Error while initializing the sound driver:
> Device /dev/dsp can't be opened (no such file or directory)
> The sound server will continue, using the null output device
>
> I have no idea where to proceed from this point. When I had FreeBSD 5.2.1
> installed, 'kde' worked fine. I formatted the HD prior to installing the
> new version to minimize any latent errors from being introduced into the
> new version. Therefore, nothing from the old version could be the cause of
> this problem.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Gerard Seibert
> gerard-seibert@rcn.com

Have you tried:

# kldload snd_driver

I have a SoundBlaster Live! card, so I was more specific and used

# kldload snd_emu10k1

and added snd_emu10k1_load="YES" to /boot/loader.conf, restarted the
machine, and now it works like a champ.  See

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/sound-setup.html

for more info.

HTH!