Date:      Wed, 12 Apr 2000 09:53:01 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Stan Brown <stanb@netcom.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org (FreeBSD Stable List)
Subject:   3.4 -> 4.0 upgreade = lockup

	As an experiment I tried to upgrade a spare machien that I had 3.4
	Stable on to 4.0 The machine in question is an HP Vectra 486/66.

	All seemd to go well untill the final reboot. Now it jangs (hard lockup
	no response to keyboard input) on reboot.

	The last thing it prints is "doing network setup hostname" This is
	followed by a cr/lf, and it hangs there. If I cycle power it is able to
	fsck the disk and return to this point where it locks up again.

	The network card is a 3C509 (ep driver) in an ISA slot. I can simply
	load 4.0 on this machien to resolve the problem wiht it, but I have a
	couple of other amchines that I would much rather upgared than
	re-install.

	Any debuging sugestions?

--
Stan Brown     stanb@netcom.com                                    404-996-6955