Date:      Sat, 6 Feb 1999 23:25:21 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        paulr@wans.net (Paul Foss)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Loading Intel EtherExpress card

Paul Foss wrote,
> I'm a newbie with FreeBSD, but I've spent numerous hours attempting to figure this out.  I have an Intel EtherExpress ISA network card that was working fine under windoze on irq9.  According to the documentation, this card should be supported under the generic kernel, but it isn't listed in sysinstall.  I therefore concluded that I would need to build a kernel.  I have done this, and I'm getting an error "ioconf.o Undefinedsymbol _ixdriver referenced from data segment.  My exact syntex is:
> device ix0 at isa? port 0x300 net irq 10 iomem 0xd0000

Where in the documentation did you see this? There is no device 'ix0'
in the LINT kernel. Are you sure it is not a PCI card? In which case
it is in the GENERIC kernel,

device fxp0

That is the card supported by the GENERIC kernel.

> It seems reasonable to me that the driver just isn't in the system.  Am I correct?  Would it be somewhere on one of the cd's?  (I purchased the 4 cd set - Free BSD 2.2.8)   Any options other than just purchasing another card?

If is an ISA card, I do not know what the prognosis is. You might look
at the cards that are listed as ISA devices and try to see if one
shares a driver with yours (basically, hope someone just forgot to
list it).

> Thank you so much for your help!

I hope it is of some help. But one other small point, your paragraphs
are all on a single line. This is due to the fact you are using
Outlook, a broken MUA. See,

http://http://www.lemis.com/email.html