Date:      Wed, 30 Mar 2005 10:20:35 -0800
From:      jeff.stelzner@areva-td.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ftpd - 421 Service not available

Hi:

I have a freebsd-4.8-release box that recently crashed due to hardware
[fan] failures after being up for 18 months.

It runs the stock ftpd server out of inetd.
- It does *not* use ftpchroot
- It is *not* setup as an anonymous ftp server

When the system came back up, remote connections to the ftp server result
in:

$ ftp nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn
421 Service not available, Remote server has closed the connection

Connections from the box to itself work fine:

$ ftp localhost
Connected to localhost.esca.com.
220 somehost.some.domain FTP server (Version xxx) ready.

Here are the troubleshooting steps I have followed thus far [it is in a
location with no remote access, so I'm talking a technician through this]:
- Verified default inetd entry invokes '/usr/libexec/ftpd -l'   [since it
works locally this should be OK]
- Disabled ipfilter firewall
- Verified that default /etc/hosts.allow contained 'ALL : ALL : allow' as
the initial line [also edited the file to contain only this line, to no
effect]
- Verified that /etc/hosts contains correct address/hostname entry for the
system, matching corresponding into in /etc/rc.conf. The box does *not*
use DNS [lookups disabled].

So I'm wondering what types of things would cause remote connections to
give a 421. Googling and looking at the archives for this list point to
ftpchroot problems as the typical issue. Not here.

Thanks for any tips you can offer - Jeff

Jeff Stelzner
"spukhafte Fernwirkungen"