Date:      Thu, 28 Mar 2002 08:08:41 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Bleichert <syborg@stny.rr.com>
To:        Lee Bran <lee_bran@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installation of sound driver

On Thu, 28 Mar 2002, Lee Bran wrote:
> Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 10:30:34 +0800
> From: Lee Bran <lee_bran@hotmail.com>
> To: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject: Installation of sound driver
>
> hi
>    im currently using FreeBSD 4.5.  im having a problem with installin my
> Creative Sound Blaster Live.  i had the card sloted in my PCI slot, but it
> detect it as a PC card.  is there any driver that i get from?  i would
> appreciate alotif u would guide me, thks.  And also i would like to noe if i
> have another PCI card /device to install (let say a change of sound card or
> printer )  how would i update my drivers? Does the kernel update itself when
> it detects a new device?
>
> bran

I have an SBLive! and it works like a charm. Please check out this section
of the handbook:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/sound.html

As I understand it, the kernel will only "update itself" if you compile a
lot of drivers into it that you don't presently need. Also, I don't think
the pcm driver (see the link above) is compiled into the fbsd kernel by
default. Once you compile it in, you'll be all set.

HTH - JB

|-John Bleichert----syborg@stny.rr.com----------------|
|-------------------http://vonbek.dhs.org/latest.jpg--|