Date:      Fri, 20 Apr 2001 04:26:27 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Patrick Calkins <pcalkins@oemsupport.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OT: fBSD with Apache, Zeus, or Kernel HTTPD???

Patrick Calkins <pcalkins@oemsupport.com> types:
> Hello all,
> This may be slightly OT, but what would be the
> best/strongest/fastest/securest web server solution?

The answer depends on the order you rank those four criteria, and your
application.

Apache is the best(*) general purpose web server. WN is the most
secure. Medusa is the fastest for generating dynamic content from
internal state. AOLServer is the fastest for generating dynamic
content from a database. thttpd has the best throughput control, which
makes it the strongest for one definition of strongest.

In other words, the best solution depends on the problem you're trying
to solve.

	<mike

*) For each of this, I actually mean "has a good case for being". Feel
   free to disagree, as there are others that fit this description.
   I'm listing them to make a point.