Date:      Tue, 13 Jun 1995 13:20:04 -0400 (EDT)
From:      jan@bagend.atl.ga.us (Jan Isley)
To:        rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com (Rodney W. Grimes)
Cc:        taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw, evanc@synapse.net, hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Problem with 2940 SOLVED

Rodney W. Grimes wrote:

> As a person who has been around the computer manufacturing business
> for most of my life working with every thing from silicon processes
> to final system testing I have found that over 80% of all computer
> eletronic failures can be traced to ``conection failure'' weither
> it be at the micron level inside a chip, or macro level from a
> cable left unplugged :-) :-)

In a previous incarnation I did Survivability Engineering and worked
on the VHSIC (very high speed ic) program at Westinghouse.  The Navy
had a continuing study at the time that had run for many years.  They
determined that 'connection failures' accounted for ... okay, it has
been 12 years, so don't quote on this okay ... but I recall that they
said 94% +/- about 5%.
--
Jan Isley            | If you couldn't find any weirdness,
jan@bagend.atl.ga.us | maybe we'll just have to make some! - Hobbes