Date:      Sat, 17 Oct 1998 17:12:56 +1000
From:      Ben Shurey <shuzza@qd.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Several X programs crashing while trying to access libc.so

Sir/Madam,

Thanks for taking the time to read this email.
I am currently having some problems with running certain programs in X.
For example, if I try to run kdehelp I get the following error:
# kdehelp
/usr/libexec/ld.so: warning: /usr/lib/libc.so.3.0: minor version 0 older than expected 1, using it anyway
/usr/libexec/ld.so: Undefined symbol "_ftok" called from kdehelp:kdehelp at 0x3333c
#
I'm guesstimating this is because my libc.so is too old to handle the request
so I set about trying to obtain the current version.
Unfortunately I haven't the foggiest of how to do this.
I added the 2.2.5 to 2.2-stable upgrade for ports which didn't help.
Ive had a look at how to use CVS but i'm not sure if it applies here. This is
also happening when using icq JAVA and once when I started XFree86.
I am using version 2.2.5 release from Wcreek cd-rom

Sorry to bother you with something that is probably well documented somewhere
on your website but I truly did try to fix my own problem!

Once again thanks for your time and any help on this matter will be greatly
appreciated.

Regards
Ben Shurey.