Date:      Thu, 30 Jun 2005 10:59:12 +0200
From:      Axel Steiner <ast@treibsand.com>
To:        Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: JVC MP-XP7210 Missing Operating System

Hi,

> A problem with the boot block is the most likely thing.
>
> I assume that there were no errors during the install, but there is
> little information on it, either, which leaves almost nothing to go on.
>
> You should boot up the installation CD and run the live OS. You should
> be able to look at the slices and partitions on your disk to see if they
> are OK. ('fdisk ad0' and 'bsdlabel ad0') if FreeBSD is the only system
> on the disk, you can also use the system to write a boot block to the
> disk, (boot0cfg -B ad0)

The problem is, that I can't boot from CD. This notebook has no CD-ROM,
I installed FreeBSD with USB-Floppy. An installation of 4.11 worked fine,
4.11 has detected the same geometry. Then I did an upgrade to 5.4. Now it
works. I think 5.4 did not write correct boot blocks on my disk. Next time,
when I expect this problem I give boot0cfg a try.

Bye,
Axel