Date:      Tue, 5 May 1998 04:23:43 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        the_reman@hotmail.com (Chris Day)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ISA-PnP w\o BIOS support?

> >> I've just bought an ISA-PnP soundcard, but my old Asus 486SP3G BIOS'
> doesn't
> >
> >boot with -c and use the manual pnp configuration instruction
>
> There are however some cards which will refuse to admit to being there
> when you do a PnP probe and can only be configured by proprietary ports

if this happens they are not ISA-PnP compliant. In the case of the
OPTi931, the PnP configuration works fine in my experience (unless the
card you have has the 'disable PnP' pin hardwired on, but that's
another story

The fact that the card wants its own initialization, like any other
card in the world, does not mean it is not PnP, it only means it
is not 100% SB or WSS clone and so does not work well if initialized
as a SB or WSS.

> So my advice is, make sure that when you buy a card make sure you can
> test it first and return it if it won't work.  Just coz it says "Plug
> and Play" doesn't mean it's PnP.

correct.

	cheers
	luigi