Date:      Mon, 27 Jul 1998 13:25:10 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Sascha Schumann <sas@www.schell.de>
To:        maltel@usa.net
Cc:        David Greenman <dg@root.com>, Peter Mutsaers <plm@xs4all.nl>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD or LINUX??? - Which one should I choose?

On Mon, 27 Jul 1998, Malte Lance wrote:

> Sascha, i really enjoyed your postings to this list. Unfortunately you
> are trying to start a splatter-fest:
>
> Sascha Schumann writes:
>  > > >I'm running FreeBSD-stable (2.2.7) now for four days and it crashed three
>  > > >times on me. The first time, I copied a 2MB file to a clean ext2fs
>  > > >partition - the system hang (I could still switch between terminals),
>  > > >but the partition was mixed up - lots of errors while running e2fsck. The
>  > > >second time happened while hammering the FreeBSD machine with lots of web
>  > > >request. The system froze (=totally dead) after ~2M requests. The third
>  > > >time was again disk related, "Freeing free block" and system reboot within
>  > > >15 seconds while installing a new kernel image.
>  >
>  > The disk I copied to (a old 500MB Conner, UFS) has/had bad blocks. I
>  > played with bad144/badsect/fsck shortly before that and dd'ed some test
>  > files around the partitions. That was probably the cause.
>
> ... and maybe dd'ed the whole partition away. Then why are you whining
> in your first post about a panic.

So, if I run my mission critical server on this system, it's expected to
die when it encounters some read/write errors?

fyi, I did sth like dd if=/dev/zero of=testfile which shouldn't trash
anything. I just needed the range of bad sectors.

> Take a nail, hammer it through your harddisk and wonder that FreeBSD
> panics. And yes, i know, Linux wouldn't crash on this.

I don't wonder. I don't complain. I formatted the disk and reinstalled
FreeBSD completely. I just reported that. Sorry, if that destroys your
dreams. The argument was sth like "FreeBSD is more stable than Linux". To
prove such a theory false, you only need to find one false occurence. I
don't tend to say "A suckz, B rockz". You won't hear it from me. But what
else could I have expected on a FreeBSD list...

> Next time tell the whole story in your FIRST complain instead of
> drawing a bad picture of FreeBSD by just telling parts of the story.
>
> Some of your own words:
>
>  > > >I don't want to blame FreeBSD here for anything. I'm *very* new to it. I'm
>  > > >Linux biased. I'm open to new things - but not to Linux bashing.
>
> Then why are you FreeBSD-bashing ?

I'm just sharing my experiences. If I did sth wrong, tell me. If I test a
system on its reliability and it fails on the on or the other side,
mustn't I say this?

Bye,
               Sascha