Date:      Sat, 18 Apr 1998 21:27:49 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Alex Nash <nash@mcs.net>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bt848: no IRQ

Alex Nash:
 |I tried sources from January 1, 1998 and October 7th, 1997 -- both
 |acted the same as the latest -current sources: no video, no irq 12
 |visible in vmstat -i.
 |
 |Nothing else is using IRQ 12, and the BIOS is configured to assign IRQ
 |12 to a PCI device.  But let's suppose there was a hardware conflict
 |(i.e. something else is using 12, but I don't have my kernel configured
 |to use such a device).  Wouldn't the fact that the device is identified
 |as being on irq 12 mean that vmstat -i would report the presence of irq
 |12?

Not necessarily.  If no interrupts have been issued by that device yet, I
believe it won't be in the list.  For example, I have an ISA ethernet board
on IRQ 12 in my box and a modem on sio0/irq4.  No net connected right now
and irq12/lnc0 is absent from my vmstat -i.  irq4/sio0 is also absent
until I do something with my modem through sio0.

 |You've given me another idea though -- I'll juggle the PCI interrupts
 |so that the BIOS assigns a different IRQ to the BT848.  Maybe it'll
 |start working if it uses another IRQ line.

Worth a shot.

 |I have forgotten to mention one other possibly critical aspect of my
 |kernel: SMP.  I'll give a UP kernel a try to see if that makes a
 |difference.

If that's the ticket, Steve Passe <smp@csn.net> would be a good guy to
poll.  He's got a Bt848 card and runs SMP I believe.

Randall