Date:      Sun, 15 Apr 2001 04:28:55 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Mark Drayton" <mark.drayton@4thwave.co.uk>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: about bgp4+

Your acting on antiquidated information.  The public version of
gated which supports OSPF may be used without fee.  NextHop
changed the licensing when Merit gave it up.

There are 6 versions of gated floating around:

oldest - this is the last UMich release, (maybe version 3.2?)
BSD-style license.

RSD, release - a fork of this release, at
ftp://ftp.isi.edu/ra/RSd/rsd-1.3.tar.gz
carrying the same license, this introduced the RSD stuff which was
folded back into the main gated release later on.

The "Merit" public releases, last was 3.5.11, this carried a convoluted
license which permitted use of gated internally, except
for "service providers"  (whatever, I think they were attempting
to stick the ISP's for a fee)

The Merit commercial releases, which are supersets of the public
releases (and carry many useful BGPisms) and which ended with
3.6

The NextHop public releases which start with 3.6 Public and carry
a GNU-like license (basically, you can do what you want with the
public code but the second you modify it, you must give all mods to
NextHop)

The NextHop commercial releases.

The 3.6 "Public" Gated code can be had by going to
http://www.gated.org, and filling out the webpage request for
it (click on the Public Code link)  The license is right there,
there is no fee mentioned.