Date:      Fri, 17 Jun 2005 15:25:44 -0400
From:      Ken Ebling <ken@idealinter.net>
To:        Steve Bertrand <iaccounts@ibctech.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Booting with multiple RAID1 configs

On Jun 17, 2005, at 2:36 PM, Steve Bertrand wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I've been running my 4.11 box on a Promise RAID one card with no
> difficulty.
>
> Today I added 2 new disks to the regular IDE chain, and used
> atacontrol
> to create a second RAID1 configuration for those 2 new disks. After I
> created with atacontrol, it successfully told me an 'ar1' had been
> created. (ar0 is the promise card).

Please clarify.  You said you added two new disks to the 'regular ide
chain' and then created another RAID1 config for those disks.

Are the new drives connected to the Promise RAID controller, or the
motherboard's IDE controllers?

It sounds like you connected them to the other channel on the Promise
card.  The card should label the channels "IDE 1" and "IDE 2" or
something similar.

Did you perhaps have your original drives plugged onto the "IDE 2"
channel and add the new drives to the "IDE 1" channel?

That's about the only thing I can think of that would make the new
drives take priority over the old drives.

If that's the case, just switch IDE cables plugging into the Promise
controller.

Thanks,

Ken Ebling