Date:      Fri, 17 Apr 1998 00:39:08 -0500
From:      "Pedro F. Giffuni" <giffunip@asme.org>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Suggestions for the ports system...

Howdy,
Known, as I am, for making occasional useless suggestions without being
flamed ;-), I had two ideas after reading some posts in the FreeBSD
lists.

1) The structure is /usr/ports/distfiles is too planar for my taste.
People should use more the DIST_SUBDIR variable when many files come
from the same site. Considering the great number of files in the
collection that come from sunsite and other master sites, perhaps
something like this on bsd.ports.mk would artificially enforce some
order?
	DIST_SUBDIR ?= $(MASTER_SITE_SUBDIR)

The result would not be perfect but it would be much better than now.

2) Some people would like to have all the packages installed on one
subdirectory, and OpenBSD AFAIK installs all in /opt. I found a kit that
would solve this problem without disrupting the FreeBSD order. I
downloaded it and build it with a minor change, but it's beyond me to
see how this could be integrated with the ports/package system.

	 http://andrew2.andrew.cmu.edu/depot/depot.html

Ah..and it's not GPL'd :).

enjoy,
	Pedro.