Date:      Thu, 6 Mar 2003 23:35:44 -0500
From:      taxman <taxman@acd.net>
To:        "Mihai Mateescu" <mateescu_mihai@hotmail.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Need help

On Thursday 06 March 2003 11:08 pm, Mihai Mateescu wrote:
> Hello !
> I tried to install FreeBSD on my computer, but I failed in the worst way I
> could: I didn't take serious your advise to back-up my data...

ooh, bad idea  ;)

> Well, I tried to install FreeBSD on a partition on my IDE drive. I must say
> that I had 4 partitions on a harddrive with 20GB. I used fdimage to make
> the two floppies (kern.flp and mfsroot.flp). I started the intallation
> process with kern.flp, then with mfsroot.flp and I entered in sysinstall. I
> begun a standard installation and I created a slice (after I made unused a
> DOS partition). Then I installed the FreeBSD boot manager (this is the only
> thing working know) and I tried to install the minimal distributions from a
> DOS partition. I downloaded from ftp server the entire subdirectory "base"

hmm, this is a little more of a nonstandard way of installing, try one of the
other methods if your hardware allows.  The mini-install iso's are pretty
convenient and not *too* bad to download.

> from the 5.0 release directory and I copied into C:\FreeBSD. The

Man, you really like to avoid reading warnings don't you  ;)
see the early adopter's guide.  5.x is really for people with more experience
right now.

> installation ended soon with this message:
>    "Error mounting /dev/ad0s3 on /dist: operation not supported by
> device(19)"
> After I clicked on OK buton, another message appeared:
>    "Unable to initialize selected media. Would you like to adjust your
> media configuration and try again?"

this may be because of the way your drive is partitioned.  If it is not
totally standard, the FreeBSD installer may be getting confused.

> Another thing: the first kernel configuration menu did not appear; that's
> why I did not configured any of the drivers.

I think they got rid of that visual configurator completely in 5.0

> My questions are:
> 	"What should I do ?"

Try 4.7-rel

> dial-up connection.

I dowload many hundreds of megabytes over my dial-up.  Just make sure you have
something else to do  :)

Tim